Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default installing 15 amp cabinet lights into a 20 amp circuit

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 8:18:11 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:28:20 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 20:18:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:04:29 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 15:44:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Yep, what Jon said. Sorry, I'm not super familiar with electrical terminology (I'm a mechanical guy).

No you may not do that.

Why not just get one of those 6 in 1 outlets, that plug into to a
duplex outlet (like you have) and have a center screw so they don't
pull out when you pull out a plug. They come with 3 prong sockets.

These days, even a properly wired house is likely to have many more
appliances and little black boxes than the number of receptacles, even
if you don't use more than one or two of the big ones at once.

He does not have a plug on the end of the leads from the transformer.

Yeah, I missed that when replying to his second post, but then I read
his first post again.

The wires
might not be suitable for adding a plug, perhaps because of physical issues,

What phyical issues could those be?

perhaps
because of aesthetics.

It's the kitchen. Screw aesthetics. How bad can a plug be? Or a
6-in-1? What's your alternative?

The alternative would be to do what he apparently suggested in his first
post, wire it into an existing circuit that feeds a receptacle.

I'm still trying to picture how that would be done from a physical
perspective. Assuming the GFCI is in a standard receptacle box, the
connections would need to made inside the wall and inside the box.

I guess I'd like to see his "bare lead" transformer, but if it's similar
to the one that I linked to, it has to be mounted someplace and then
the wires have to somehow have to pass through the wall and into the
receptacle box. It sounds like flush mount junction box would be required
to accept the wires from the transformer (with a proper fitting of course)
and then Romex would need to be run from that junction box to the
receptacle box.

Perhaps there is an existing (remote) junction box for the receptacle
circuit that could be used, but then the wires need to be run from
the transformer back to the fixture itself.

It seems like we are adding more complexity, and therefore possibly more
code issues, than just using an existing lighting circuit or even new
circuit if need be (and possible).

Am I missing something simple on the "physical installation" front?

That may
be a code violation, because current code requires 20A circuits for
appliances to be plugged in and AFAIK, you can't put other loads on it.
But it's a 14W LED and insignificant as far as effecting the ampacity,
so I could live with it.

I'm not sure it even is a code problem. The 20A circuit reqt for
receptacles is relatively new. If he has an older house, not subject
to that at the time, IDK if it really is a code violation, ie what says
that he can't tap into an existing circuit? He's adding an LED, not adding
counter receptacles.