Posted to alt.home.repair
Texas Kingsnake Texas Kingsnake is offline

Default Tracking down AFCI faults

"Don Y" wrote in message
On 2/22/2016 9:17 PM, Texas Kingsnake wrote:
Gawd! Every message I have read today just adds to the list of monsters
that might be hiding under the walls.

It;s really not that bad! And, it's not really *hard* work. It's
FRUSTRATING because you can't see what you are doing... can't tell
if this is likely to be the problem, etc.

But, I'll wager you didn't hesitate the first time you tried to
unhook a bra strap "without seeing"! :

Funny you should say that. I just pull the shoulder straps down
simultaneously and keep pulling until it's down around the waist. The
change in diameter from shoulders to waist often unhooks the bra all by
itself. Either way, what needs to be accessed is accessible, if you know
what I mean!

I hope when all the possible loads
are removed, the arc fault disappears and I can add things back one at a
time until it pops. Not sure what I will do if the AFCI still trips

with no
detectable loads. I suppose that when I get the clamp ammeter out to

see if
there is a load I missed.

First make sure the AFCI doesn't trip with NO WIRE attached to it!

Yep, that's on the list. I've decided to wire a SPDT switch between the two
breakers (now that I have so many open slots) and the circuit wire --
temporarily. That way I can power the circuit through either breaker at the
flip of a switch.

The fox and hound tester might be useful elsewhere, but it wasn't very
useful in this situation. If the break is in the walls, a whole new circuit
will be pulled. Great Caesar's ghost this got complicated in a big freaking
hurry. frown

TKS