Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Oven-Off for cleaning fireplace doors

On 2/22/2016 6:33 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/22/2016 7:01 PM, SeaNymph wrote:
On 2/22/2016 6:00 PM, wrote:
I have not heard of using fireplace ashes for cleaning. I would worry
about scratching the glass if I used ashed.

I've been doing it for 4 years and my glass doesn't have any scratches
on it.

Wood ashes are caustic, just like oven cleaner so I guess they would
work. You could scratch the glass if there was something like sandy
grit in them. I assume you wet them down before using.

Exactly!

Wet a paper towel, lightly dab in in the fine ash (ours are finer than
flour) and scrub the hell out of the glass. When the towel is covered
and the glass has a powdery haze, grab another sheet, dampen it and
clean off the haze.

Our woodstove's glass door is ~ 14" diagonal and still in perfect shape
after about 31 years of cleaning in this fashion.