Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default which battery for my UPS??

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:03:24 -0000 (UTC), wrote:

Mouser sells a Power-Sonic PS-1270F2 (12 V, 7.0 Ah) for $23, quantity
one:
http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...alkeyPS-1270F2

Battery Sharks sells a "Power Sonic PS-1270-F2 Battery (Replacement)"
for $11, quantity one:
http://www.batterysharks.com/Power-S...f2_ups12-7.htm

The way I read that is that's a *replacement* for a Power-Sonic battery,
and not actually a Power-Sonic battery. The price also makes me think
it's a junk battery, and not actually a Power-Sonic.

That's also the way I read it. However, note the battery weights.
From the respective web piles, the real PowerSonic weighs 4.80 lbs,
while the Battery Sharks clone weighs 5.25 lbs. I differentiate
battery quality of identical size batteries by their weight, which is
an indication of how much lead is in the battery. Based on that
metric, the weight differnce (10%) suggests that the Battery Sharks
clone is the better battery.

Of course, Battery Shark could be inflating the battery weight because
they know about the weight trick. Double checking:
http://sigmastek.com/files/specsheets/SP12-7(T1).pdf
Yep, Battery Sharks is lying on their web pile. The data sheet shows
4.52 lbs, which is LESS than the real Power Sonic. The battery is
probably crap and I don't think I would trust the dealer.

Incidentally, you can also get the same Sigmastek battery from the
Battery Sharks people for $9.69 without the claim of PowerSonic
equivalence.
http://www.batterysharks.com/SigmasTek-SP12-7-p/sp12-7_b12-7.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann