Bob Minchin

Default Wood or uPVC front door

Lee Blaver wrote:

SWMBO wants to change our perfectly good (50mm) hardwood front door
for a nasty plastic one...
What is considered more secure, a decent wooden front
door and frame or a uPVC one?

I can see that the locking mechanism on the plastic door may be
superior, but most of the frames I've seen look like they would cave in
really easily to a good kick...

I have found a place that will make the door and frame with steel
reinforcement and a steel sheet reinforced lower panel, at a rather
surprisingly larger cost than the "standard" fare from the DG companies,
hence my question.

Oh, and whether it would be worth going for the steel reinforced plastic
door, if I can't persuade SWMBO into keeping the nice wooden one :-)

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

One observation on UPVC doors is that in my experience I have not seen one
that will automatically shut in the locked state.
Thisis something taken for granted with a wooden door with a rim lock.
If this is important to you beware UPVC.
Once manually shut and key locked, the UPVC door is locked at several points
around the frame and is more secure than most wooden doors.
Do ensure that the glass and other infill panels are fitted from the inside
with beading on the inner door face.

Bob