Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Here's a fun new metalworking/robotics/mechanics project

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 21:24:13 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 15:19:07 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 22:09:21 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 13:02:09 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
m...
http://tinyurl.com/z56msjj

I'd love to build a scaled version of one of these little beauties.
Specs are outstanding. I wonder what diesel engine they're using.
Is this the first diesel hybrid plugin? I don't recall seeing one
before.

What did you say you had for machine tools?

Um, let's see. I have several hammers! :/

For metalworking, so far: a drill press, portable bandsaw (time to
make a base for it), several 4" angle grinders, disc/belt sander
combo, table saw (for aluminum and plastics), indicators and bases,
calipers and other measuring devices, 3" sine vise, angle plate,
v-blocks, tapping stand, grinder, buffer and 1/2 dozen compounds, TIG
welder w/ argon, various square tubing sizes, various chunks of delrin
and other plastics, etc. Not a whole lot of machine tools, but it's a
start.

My buddy, Gunner, refuses to find a $5 compact vertical mill for me,
but my buddy, Glenn, lets me use his gear head mill, lathe, and real
TIG when I need them. He's half an hour away.

Next time you come down, plan on bringing a trailer loaded with a
small milling machine, home with you. I think Im gonna give you the
Hales (Yamazon) mill in the back yard. You will however have to repair
the x axis nut. With luck, Glenn will be able to help you with it.

Thanks! Is it like this one? http://tinyurl.com/zsasrlh It may be
too big for my shop, tho. And what does it weigh?

Ayup...Ill be damned..first one Ive ever seen on Ebay. About 750-900
lbs at most. Horizontal AND vertical spindles. Its about 1/3 the size
of a BP. Very compact mill. No more than about 4' deep and 3' wide.
Put it in a corner and you will be good to go.
2hp vertical motor and 3hp horizontal motor.

You dont remember seeing it? Fit in the back of your pickup with no
issues. 220 3ph though..IRRC. We can do some work arounds if you dont
have an RPC

I'm putting up more shelving this month and rearranging all of it to
find more floor space than the _deer_path_ I've been squeezing through
for the past decade or so. sigh

I did a shop a month or so ago...we put up pallet racking and put his
machines UNDER the pallet racks, so much of his storage is overhead
and it provided good places for lighting above his machines.

Gunner