Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Default PING: HP laserjet experts Help!

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 14:59:33 +1100, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

**The fuser appears to be OK, but then, without a manual, I cannot
measure what is inside the fuser to determine what, if anything, may be
faulty. My biggest fear is that the fuser may not be faulty and that it
may be something else. For that, I require a schematic.

Ok, you've decided that you want a new printer and you're not
supplying enough information to even diagnose the alleged fuser
problem. If you can't describe what's wrong with the fuser, could you
at least describe what inspired you to purchase a new printer?

**If I print photos, I use an ink jet printer (which is now my back-up
printer for general purpose use). I've never seen a colour laser printer
that can match even a relatively inexpensive ink jet.

I have, but only after calibration, loading the correct color profile
into the computah, and using glossy paper:
https://www.google.com/#q=color+laser+printer+calibration
Unless your ink sprayer is using archival quality ink, that doesn't
fade in sunlight, you're gorgeous inkjet prints will fade. The colors
also run when the paper gets wet, but unless you live in a high
humidity environment, that's unlikely to happen.

**In fairness, paper jams in all my HP lasers have been extremely rare.
FWIW: I've owned LJIIP, LJIIIP, LJVMP (still own that one - still works,
but nothing talks to it, except IR).

Retch. The LJIIp was the worlds slowest small laser printer in its
day. It also had the irritating habit of destroying the driver board
that spins the scanning mirror. Pre-warming the fuser on startup
would take over a minute for a cold start. The LJIIIp was a slightly
faster version of the worlds slowest small laser printer.

I've only worked on one LJ5mp and don't recall what I hated about it.
I do recall hauling a fairly large number of 5p, 6p, 5mp, and 6mp
printers to the recyclers after everyone agreed that they were not
worth resurrecting.

Favorite printer (with some caveats) is the HP 2300DN and DTN.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/hp2200/hp2200.html
If you want cheap, one of the low end Brother AIO printers:
http://www.staples.com/Brother-Refurbished-MFC-7360N-Laser-Multifunction-Printer/product_424336

If this were my problem, I would fix the color laserjet 3600N fuser,
refill your existing carts with more toner, and get some reset chips
to deal with HP ecologically disgusting refill protection:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hp+3600+toner
In my never humble opinion, the 3600N is better than any of the
alternatives you've listed, and will probably last forever if you take
care of it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D