Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 2/21/2016 11:51 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/20/2016 9:37 AM, dpb wrote:
On 02/20/2016 7:50 AM, Jack wrote:

As for sharpening, I have two sets; I send the one out and use the other
but it's normally at least a year between. At the amount of work I've
been doing it's been longer than that although was getting ready to ramp
up again to do the barn windows and hopefully some other stuff this
spring.

That part, to me, just is a non-issue entirely and no reason to switch.

I hear that. I'm not recommending anyone "switch", just not to go there
in the first place. I myself have not switched my long blade jointer.
I'm certain however, if I was 40 years younger and buying my first
jointer/planer, they would have the segmented spiral cutter heads.

I also would buy a Domino or similar tool rather than an el cheapo Delta
mortise machine. I'd have to look into whether the extra 300 for the
Festool was worth it vs say a Lamello, but I know I'd not be buying a
dedicated mortiser, even though we lived many years w/o the Domino. This
is based on owning a cheap delta mortiser, and Leon's comments on the
Domino as well as watching them in use and seeing the advantages.

This is just my opinion of course. Those just starting out can take it
or leave it, it's just one guys opinion.

Just a bit of info concerning the Lamello to the Domino. I seriously
doubt that there is much difference in the quality of the two units.

The huge difference however is what they are making cuts for, the
biscuit or the floating tenon. IMHO the floating tenons are stronger
and fit in a larger variety of places. While the biscuit comes in the
FF size for face frames it is still twice as wide as a 5mm Domino which
is approximately 3/4" wide. IIRC the FF biscuit is 1-3/16" wide and
penetrates 1/4" on both halves.
The 5mm Domino penetrated 1/2" on both halves and is about 3/4" wide.

There is a smaller Domino tenon, 4mm, and a much larger one, 10mm, that
the smaller Domino mortiser will cut and it penetrates about 1" on each
half of the joint.

Basically you can add floating tenons to the end of a 1" wide rail
with no worry of it showing, not so with a plate joiner.

Just saying.