Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default PING: HP laserjet experts Help!

On 22/02/2016 1:28 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 10:05:32 +1100, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

On 22/02/2016 7:16 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Yes, it can be repaired with a rebuild kit.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hp+color+laserjet+fuser+rebuild

**Looks like my only solution is this:

* Buy a replacement fuser and hope that is the only fault. Cost will
exceed AUS$300.00.
* Buy a new printer. I found a multifunction device from HP, which would
do the job. Model MFP M177FW. RRP AUS$329.00. For a few more Bucks
(about AUS$300.00), I could buy a Dell C2665dnf. Thoughts?

Sigh.
1. You didn't bother to mention what is wrong with the fuser. It
might be an easy fix requiring a minimum of parts and expertise.
Extract the fuser and look at it. Most problems can be found by
visual inspection.

**The fuser appears to be OK, but then, without a manual, I cannot
measure what is inside the fuser to determine what, if anything, may be
faulty. My biggest fear is that the fuser may not be faulty and that it
may be something else. For that, I require a schematic.

2. Dell printers are VERY proprietary. Obtaining parts are almost
impossible. I hate them.

**OK. Scratch the Dell.

3. Consumer grade HP printers, including the MFP M177FW are mostly
junk. They are built flimsy, have designed in wear problems, and
rattle badly when printing. Same problem with parts as Dell except
that you can sometimes find the larger sub-assemblies with HP. The
US$300 entry price is reasonable. Replacement carts vary from US$50
(eBay) to US$250 (HP). You'll get about 1000 pages per cart at 5%
coverage, yielding a cost per page of US$0.05 to US$0.25 per page
depending on where you buy the cartridge. However, if you're printing
full page 8x10 photos, your costs will be over 10 times higher due to
increased coverage. Do the math before you take the plunge.

**If I print photos, I use an ink jet printer (which is now my back-up
printer for general purpose use). I've never seen a colour laser printer
that can match even a relatively inexpensive ink jet.

There's a Samsung in the mix, but I purchased a Samsung a couple of
years back. Atrocious POS. A simple paper jam would typically take 30
mins to clear.

Yep. Also some difficulties finding replacement cartridges. I have
to deal with an office full of them. I think there are about 20
Samsung printers scattered around. I fix them by cannibalism.
Eventually I'll run out of parts printers, which is fine with me.

After owning 4 HP printers, I have always found that
paper jams are quickly and easily cleared. I a leaning towards HP for
that reason.

I used to thing that paper jams were normal for laser printers. Then,
I got a lecture on how they work, why they jam, and what can be done
to solve the problem. Very roughly, I keep the machine clean, replace
the rubber feed rollers and friction pads regularly, and make an
effort not to let the paper absorb moisture or form any shape besides
flat. I also clean the stripper fingers, fuser roller, and plastic
parts that contact the paper. On printers that I've worked over, and
my own, I don't see very many paper jams.

**In fairness, paper jams in all my HP lasers have been extremely rare.
FWIW: I've owned LJIIP, LJIIIP, LJVMP (still own that one - still works,
but nothing talks to it, except IR).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au