Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

In message 2016022111420948910-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom

On 2016-02-21 17:51:48 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:
On 2/21/2016 12:14 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:08:46 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/24/2016 12:53 AM, nospam wrote:

the key is to *avoid* the collision in the first place.

Yes, but often when stopped there is no place to go. A few years ago an
entire family was killed at a toll booth. Last year two kids were
killed in the car stopped at a light.They were not belted in. May have
made a difference.

Are you a reporter? The media loves to take a few little uncommon
examples and make it sound as though it could happen to you. It most
likely won't.

I was broadsided by a big truck. Minor injury that could have been
worse had I not been belted. That was many years ago. Car was totaled,
I had a cut on my head. Yep, can happen.

Seatbelt + airbag saved me from serious injury here. I was left hanging
from the seatbelt in the upside-down car. When the airbags deployed, my
right hand was blown off the steering wheel up through the now
shattered moon-roof. That chewed my hand up quite a bit, but that was
not what I would term serious.
https://db.tt/dZhU973f
https://db.tt/OLKLNJdH
https://db.tt/J5p5VwtT

...and it was my fault, I shouldn't have been driving after working two
20 hour days in a row, I fell asleep at the wheel. I replaced that Ford
Contour with a used Mercedes 560SEL.

Oh look, two examples of it happening. Now find out how many people
never even have a minor scrape in their cars. Work out the percentage,
then stop worrying about it. I haven't built a nuclear fallout shelter
either, and I reckon that chances of needing one are similar to the
chances of needing a seatbelt. But.... a shelter just sits there out
of the way until you need it. I don't want the inconvenience of
putting ****ing belt on all the time.

In that case don't inconvenience yourself, just don't use the "****ing
belt". You might need to disable the seat-belt alarm if you don't want
that driving you crazy with its insistent nagging buzz.

No, not acceptable. When he gets seriously injured and takes up hundreds
or thousands of hours of care because of his stupidity and takes resources
that should go to other people then it's not just his decision. If he
installs poisoned fletchettes in his air bag so that his is definitely
killed in any accident, *then* his (idiotic) "choice" to not wear a
seatbelt is allowable.

If you don't like free medicine, change that not this. Consider if someone goes hillwalking in a storm. Is that illegal?

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners.