Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 23:57:07 -0000, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 21:38:31 -0000, Jamie Kahn Genet
wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 21:07:11 -0000, Jamie Kahn Genet
wrote:

On 2016-02-21 17:51:48 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

On 2/21/2016 12:14 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:08:46 -0000, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:
On 1/24/2016 12:53 AM, nospam wrote:

the key is to *avoid* the collision in the first place.

Yes, but often when stopped there is no place to go. A few years
ago an entire family was killed at a toll booth. Last year two
kids were killed in the car stopped at a light.They were not
belted in. May have made a difference.

Are you a reporter? The media loves to take a few little
uncommon examples and make it sound as though it could happen to
you. It most likely won't.

I was broadsided by a big truck. Minor injury that could have
been worse had I not been belted. That was many years ago. Car
was totaled, I had a cut on my head. Yep, can happen.

Seatbelt + airbag saved me from serious injury here. I was left
hanging from the seatbelt in the upside-down car. When the airbags
deployed, my right hand was blown off the steering wheel up
through the now shattered moon-roof. That chewed my hand up quite
a bit, but that was not what I would term serious.
https://db.tt/dZhU973f
https://db.tt/OLKLNJdH
https://db.tt/J5p5VwtT

...and it was my fault, I shouldn't have been driving after
working two 20 hour days in a row, I fell asleep at the wheel. I
replaced that Ford Contour with a used Mercedes 560SEL.

Oh look, two examples of it happening. Now find out how many people
never even have a minor scrape in their cars. Work out the
percentage, then stop worrying about it. I haven't built a nuclear
fallout shelter either, and I reckon that chances of needing one are
similar to the chances of needing a seatbelt. But.... a shelter
just sits there out of the way until you need it. I don't want the
inconvenience of putting ****ing belt on all the time.

I've had a few situations in my life where the seatbelt kept me from
smacking into the dashboard or seat in front of me, when the driver has
had to brake suddenly. I wouldn't have been seriously injured, but why
be bruised and cut, and possibly even suffer dental damage, without the
need?

Braking isn't sudden enough to make you hit the dashboard of the car.
Unless you're a double amputee.

Gosh, it isnt? Oh yeah - your magic that would magically instantly
detect trouble magically ahead of time, make you aware, and have your
arms read to prevent such an incident.

Do your brakes come on before you press the pedal then? Why do you think
you take longer to protect yourself from movement than to press the pedal?

LOL at your child-like view of the world in which nothing ever happens
unexpectedly.

That's not what I said. Read what I wrote again. If you don't have time to react, you don't have time to brake anymore than you have time to brace yourself.

One of my sisters was in a rather serious accident and her seatbelt kept
her securely restrained, and her rear passenger from flying forwards
through the headrest and into her.

An ex-girlfriend was in a crash that wrote off her first Volkswagen New
Beetle. Her seatbelt kept her from ramming her body up into the
dashboard and roof (due to the physics of the particular crash), and the
airbag cushioned her head. Side note: for a little car, her New Beetle
did very well at protecting the occupant, for which I was most thankful
given my attachment to the driver.

Ask pretty much any rational person who has driven or been driven for
years, and they'll tell you of at least a time when being belted kept
them securely in place during a sudden brake.

But continue with your absurd belief that you can somehow predict when
it's safe not to be belted in :-D You're a joke, mate. Worse - a
dangerous joke.

Better not to crash in the first place, you seem to know a hell of a lot
of **** drivers.

Sorry, I dont know a magic that will affect the world arround me and
prevent anything bad happening. Care to share?

Learn to drive better.

Will that magically give me magical awareness of everything around me
even if I can't see it, what other drivers are thinking, and a magical
ability to extrapolate the correct possibility from complex events? Can
you explain how your magic works. I'd love to know :-)

It's not magic. It's called defensive driving, look it up.

--
What is the first thing a blonde learns when she takes driving lessons?
You can also sit upright in a car.