Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default PING: HP laserjet experts Help!

Trevor Wilson wrote:

I have an ancient HP Color Laserjet 3600N, I picked up a few months
back. Nice printer. So nice, that after a few months, I took the plunge
and bought a bunch of toner cartridges for the thing. As luck would have
it, it has just thrown up a fuser error (50.8). At first, the error was
intermittant, now it is permanent. Questions:

* Service data source?
* Can the fuser be repaired? The cost of a fuser here in Australia is
astronomical?
* Is the fuser a 230VAC one (Australia is a 230VAC nation), or can I
just buy a new fuser (or re-built one) from eBay?
* I assume there is some kind of feedback system (NTC or PTC element)
and that is what has failed, rather than the heater (the fuser still
gets hot)?

Ok, if the fuser heater is still working, then find the sensor (there will
usually be two, a control thermostat and a safety thermostat). Trace the
wires back to whatever board controls the fuser, and reseat the connectors.
That may fix it. If not, pull that board and look for crumbling solder
joints on the connectors. If nothing there, then dismantle the fuser and
check that the sensors still have contact with the fuser roller, aren't
covered in melted toner, etc. Then, you have to decide whther to replace
the sensors or the control board.

And, the most awesome resource is :
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/

They have discussions and instruction on how to fix all sorts of problems.

Jon