Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT Windows 10

On 2/21/2016 2:57 PM, wrote:
Sadly, with mental health issues thrown into the pot, there are MANY
homeless young people who will not stay in a shelter, or even a
supportive "home" - preferring instead to exist on the fringes -
sleeping on park benches and eating from dumpsters - or resorting to
crime to support their "lifestyle"

I'll admit I've not been around much of this organization's "clientele".
But, have a friend who works for them (paid). And, the dozens of kids
I've encountered while working on the premises.

For the most part, all seem like they would much rather NOT be in
the shape they are in, wish they *had* a "home" (home includes family
and support) that was their "safe haven", etc. Even those stupid (?)
enough to end up with kids seemed to be trying to make a genuine
effort to "make it work".

[I did meet one young girl who obviously had some psychological/mental
problems -- but not destructive behavior, just far less mature
than she should have been. I.e., the sort who NEEDED someone to
manage her time and finances]

But, I believe the approach to the problem has been self-serving
instead of serving the interests of the kids/clients. It seems
like policies teach the kids how to "game the system" more than
"how to succeed". E.g., why graduate at 17/18 when you *should*?
Then, you lose this support! So, drag it out until you are 21
(22?) -- milk the beast for as long as is possible! : After
all, nothing in their life is really going to CHANGE just because
they are older...

IME, many (most?) non-profits start out with noble goals. But, as
they grow, they start rationalizing "needs" that reflect their
PERSONAL needs instead of the needs of the population they serve.
I.e., *needing* office space (instead of operating out of a
Banker's Box on the dining room table), *needing* a salary (so
they can devote ALL their efforts to this), *needing* fundraisers
(to bring in more monies "for the cause"), needing to provide
office space and salaries for those fundraisers, likewise an
accountant, publicist, etc.

Each individual rationalization SEEMS to make sense -- until you
step back and look at them in the aggregate and say, "You *need*
all this to do *what*, exactly?"

[I.e., "Can you give me the names of 3 teens who are _most_at_risk_,
presently? If not, why don't you have that information? Isn't that
what you are claiming as your purpose?"]

Any "rules"or "structure" sends them litterally heading for the hills.
If there is a restriction on drug use, a curfew, a requirement to
contribute in any way to their own welfare, through chores, attendance
at classes, counselling, etc - they prefer to live on the streets than
to comply.

Those don't make it into this sort of program. Society has to
find other ways of dealing with them.

Sad, but way too painfully true with too many examples too close to
home to ignore. And it gets worse, generation by generation

I've known a couple of guys who lived "on the street". One's
mother wouldn't let him live *in* her house -- but allowed him to
set up a tent in the back yard (!). Another lived under
bridges and got around by bicycle. A friend allowed him to move
into her home (spare room). Until she was out of town on an extended
trip -- at which time, he helped himself to several of her belongings
and disappeared. (apparently, couldn't get the monkey off his back)

You can only help the people who WANT to be helped AND who are
willing to help THEMSELVES!