Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default PING: HP laserjet experts Help!

On 22/02/2016 7:16 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 17:22:31 +1100, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

* Service data source?

http://www.FixYourOwnPrinter.com
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/?printer_brand=9&printer_series=61&printer=1988&Se arch=Search
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Color-LaserJet-3000-Printer-series/501044/model/501046/manuals
http://www.PrinterWorks.com
http://www.lbrty.com
http://partsurfer.hp.com
http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=Q5987A

Service Manual:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Color-LaserJet-3000-Printer-series/501044/model/501046/manuals
There are also dealers on eBay selling manuals on CD or download.

* Can the fuser be repaired? The cost of a fuser here in Australia is
astronomical?

Yes, it can be repaired with a rebuild kit.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hp+color+laserjet+fuser+rebuild
The rebuild kits do NOT include a heater and are therefore indpendent
of line voltage. If you've never done it before and/or lack specific
instructions, I suggest you go for a rebuild or exchange fuser
instead.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00508146
For 220VAC the fuser PN is RM1-2743-000
For 117VAC the fuser PN is RM1-2665-000

* Is the fuser a 230VAC one (Australia is a 230VAC nation), or can I
just buy a new fuser (or re-built one) from eBay?

That's NOT an either-or type choice. Yes, you can buy a rebuilt fuser
on eBay, but it has to be 220VAC type for AU.

* I assume there is some kind of feedback system (NTC or PTC element)
and that is what has failed, rather than the heater (the fuser still
gets hot)?

If the temperature sensing circuit has had a failure, you'll get an
error message on the display during boot up. There is also an
overtemp thermostat to prevent meltdown.

The usual failures that I see are hardened toner buildup on the
fingers that peel the paper away from the fuser roller, a fried fuser
film sleeve, and worn gear teeth.

Any suggestions will be welcome. After spending almost 300 Bucks on
toner, I am keen to keep this sucker going for another few years. I'd
prefer not to spend 500 Bucks on a new fuser though.

$500 for a fuser is far too much.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hp+3600n+fuser
No clue about AU prices. For 220VAC, email the vendor. Most
rebuilders carry both voltages or can possibly swap out the heater
element.

**Looks like my only solution is this:

* Buy a replacement fuser and hope that is the only fault. Cost will
exceed AUS$300.00.
* Buy a new printer. I found a multifunction device from HP, which would
do the job. Model MFP M177FW. RRP AUS$329.00. For a few more Bucks
(about AUS$300.00), I could buy a Dell C2665dnf. Thoughts?

There's a Samsung in the mix, but I purchased a Samsung a couple of
years back. Atrocious POS. A simple paper jam would typically take 30
mins to clear. After owning 4 HP printers, I have always found that
paper jams are quickly and easily cleared. I a leaning towards HP for
that reason.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au