Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default LED Christmas lights have a series lump, what is it for?

I took apart five individual LED Christmas light bulbs, from a string of lights that did not have a "glob" in series with the bulbs. Each of the lights had a really tiny resistor in series with the bulbs. The stripes and body color on the resistors were so small I could not tell which was the body and which were the stripes. My cheap HF multimeter said the actual resistors were 260 ohms. I didn't try to clip lead the bulbs into a working string of lights so I wasn't able to measure the forward drop across the LED diode itself. I will try that later this week when I work on some more LED light strings. Right now my repair shop is working on filament light strings.