Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 21:07:11 -0000, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

On 2016-02-21 17:51:48 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

On 2/21/2016 12:14 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:08:46 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/24/2016 12:53 AM, nospam wrote:

the key is to *avoid* the collision in the first place.

Yes, but often when stopped there is no place to go. A few years ago an
entire family was killed at a toll booth. Last year two kids were
killed in the car stopped at a light.They were not belted in. May have
made a difference.

Are you a reporter? The media loves to take a few little uncommon
examples and make it sound as though it could happen to you. It most
likely won't.

I was broadsided by a big truck. Minor injury that could have been
worse had I not been belted. That was many years ago. Car was totaled,
I had a cut on my head. Yep, can happen.

Seatbelt + airbag saved me from serious injury here. I was left hanging
from the seatbelt in the upside-down car. When the airbags deployed, my
right hand was blown off the steering wheel up through the now
shattered moon-roof. That chewed my hand up quite a bit, but that was
not what I would term serious.
https://db.tt/dZhU973f
https://db.tt/OLKLNJdH
https://db.tt/J5p5VwtT

...and it was my fault, I shouldn't have been driving after working two
20 hour days in a row, I fell asleep at the wheel. I replaced that Ford
Contour with a used Mercedes 560SEL.

Oh look, two examples of it happening. Now find out how many people never
even have a minor scrape in their cars. Work out the percentage, then
stop worrying about it. I haven't built a nuclear fallout shelter either,
and I reckon that chances of needing one are similar to the chances of
needing a seatbelt. But.... a shelter just sits there out of the way
until you need it. I don't want the inconvenience of putting ****ing belt
on all the time.

I've had a few situations in my life where the seatbelt kept me from
smacking into the dashboard or seat in front of me, when the driver has
had to brake suddenly. I wouldn't have been seriously injured, but why
be bruised and cut, and possibly even suffer dental damage, without the
need?

Braking isn't sudden enough to make you hit the dashboard of the car. Unless you're a double amputee.

One of my sisters was in a rather serious accident and her seatbelt kept
her securely restrained, and her rear passenger from flying forwards
through the headrest and into her.

An ex-girlfriend was in a crash that wrote off her first Volkswagen New
Beetle. Her seatbelt kept her from ramming her body up into the
dashboard and roof (due to the physics of the particular crash), and the
airbag cushioned her head. Side note: for a little car, her New Beetle
did very well at protecting the occupant, for which I was most thankful
given my attachment to the driver.

Ask pretty much any rational person who has driven or been driven for
years, and they'll tell you of at least a time when being belted kept
them securely in place during a sudden brake.

But continue with your absurd belief that you can somehow predict when
it's safe not to be belted in :-D You're a joke, mate. Worse - a
dangerous joke.

Better not to crash in the first place, you seem to know a hell of a lot of **** drivers.

--
My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch.