Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Transformer shot! (was scope SMPS/ capacitor venting)

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:36:29 +0100, Dimitrij Klingbeil wrote:

[...]

First of all, did you really use 100 kHz as written? Most LCR meters
have 100 Hz, 1 kHz, 10 kHz and 100 kHz signals. Did you perchance use
the 100 Hz one instead? 100 Hz would be so low that the inductive part
might not even register properly.

Yes, definitely 100kHz. Not my preferred choice, but the only option
given the meter I used which was actually a capacitor ESR meter.

[SRF remarks noted]

So your 100 kHz measurements indicated very low impedances, like some
winding was shorted out. But then you also have 2 high voltage windings
in there, which would have been way above SRF at 100 kHz frequency, so
they will effectively behave like shorted even if they were perfectly
fine otherwise. At 100 kHz they're no longer inductors, they're likely
just capacitors instead.

Very good point. I admit I never considered that possibility.

Your transformer is probably supposed to run at something like 20 kHz in
normal resonant operation, so 20 kHz should be ok. But because it has
high voltage windings, it may be very close to the HV winding's SRF.
Indeed Philips engineers may even have chosen to run the transformer not
below, but essentially right at SRF. They may have selected the
resonance capacitors for the primary in such a way that the primary
(together with the resonance capacitors) would have a resonant frequency
which closely matches the self-resonance of one of the high voltage
windings, being just a little bit below to account for tolerances.

If that's the case, you should use a lower frequency for testing
impedances. Most LCR meters don't offer 20 kHz anyway, just 10 kHz and
100 kHz as "nearest neighbors". 100 kHz won't do, so use 10 kHz. That
should give you realistic impedances (which you can manually multiply by
2 to get to the in-circuit conditions).

Yes, it might be illuminating to sweep a range of frequencies and note
any resonances, I can see the value of that. Unfortunately, an LCR meter
is one item of test equipment I don't have, so it would have to be sig
gen and scope in combination. Anyway, it's do-able.
Many thanks for your observations as always.