Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default OT Windows 10

| IE has anywhere from 10% to 50% share, depending on
| who you ask.
| https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_...f_web_browsers
|
| But that's IE, not IE11. IE11 can only run on Win7/8/10.
| It won't install on XP. (Win10 only recently passed XP
| in usage. XP is still popular. So not being able to run IE11
| on XP is a rather pitiful statement about Microsoft.)
|
| Those stats I gave are for IE11. It's all over the net.
| Why you use a Wiki with old data as a reference is beyond my ken.

Because that Wikipedia page is listing the
popular stat companies, like statcounter.
Perhaps your ken could manage to come up
with links if you want to make contrary
claims. "It's all over the net" is not useful.
You may have got it from an ad in your hotmail
for all I know.

Here's w3c's stats. Is that official enough?
They put IE11 at 6.75% as of January. That's
unusually low because they're counting all visitors,
not just desktops. On the other hand, phones
and tablets are very real considerations these
days. On the bright side, most of those are
running Safari or Chrome, so they don't need
any special treatment. On my own site those
numbers seem to be about right.

Other counters that only track desktops give
figures 25-50% for all IE versions.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...bvIDg&&ct=clnk

It will vary a lot. Shopping sites will vary from
more techie sites, for instance. A counter that
tracks Victorias Secret and Amazon may have
different results from one that tracks CNN and
EBay but not Amazon.
25% for IE11 may be realistic in some markets
*for desktop only*, but in general browser usage
it's quite low. And I know from my own server logs
that IE11 is only an occasional visitor to my site,
despite it being a Microsoft-centric site. (Frankly I'm
shocked at how many people prefer google's Chrome
spyware. I don't consider IE spyware. Just unsafe,
non-standards-compliant junk. I actually *love* IE
for offline use in HTAs. I just don't think it's fit for
online use. Chrome, on the other hand, really is
spyware.... Well, I should say I don't consider IE
to be exceptional spyware. most browsers these
days are tracking people, under the guise of such
things as "website reputation reporting". Even Firefox
has become very sleazy.)

| XP is only about 10% of the market now.
| But people still drive old cars. My cars are 2003 and 1995.

That's what I find, too. XP, 8 and 10 are
all in the 10% range. The rest is mostly Win7.
Another way to look at it is that Windows
XP-10 is about 90% of OS share online. About
15+% of those, or 1/6, XP and Vista, can't run
Microsoft's latest version of IE. No other OS
can run Microsoft's latest version of IE. I don't
know about you, but I'd say that's pretty bad
performance on the part of Microsoft. To my
mind that makes IE11 a niche browser, like
Safari. I'm happy to support Safari if I can, but
I'm not going to go out of my way for it. The
difference is that Safari, like every other non-IE
browser, is standards compliant. So I only need
to support one of those -- Firefox, Chrome, Safari,
etc -- and I automatically support them all. IE11,
by contrast, breaks compatibility with IE10,
which breaks with IE9, which breaks with IE8...
and so on. And they all break compatibility with
standards.

You're free to support IE11 if you have a
website. I see it as a case of diminishing
returns. It's just not worth my time and effort.