Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 2/20/2016 2:06 PM, dpb wrote:
On 02/20/2016 10:56 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/19/2016 11:12 AM, dpb wrote:

My $99 Ridged is 14 gallon, not 6, and it's HP is rated at 6, not 3.5.
It may not have hepa, but personally I don't care a lick, I see no dust
coming out of it and it sucks plenty hard.

Standard 2.5" hoses fit it, along with their attachments, so my old shop
vac stuff works fine. It doesn't go on automatically when I plug a tool
into it, but I don't care there either, because all my tools are on a
dust collector system. I have no problem flicking the switch on my Long
Ranger.

My main reason for getting rid of the shop vac, which I've had for 40
years, and it still works same as it did the day I got it, was
noise.(damn things you want to break never do)

The ridged sucks harder, a plus, but mainly it is quiet enough it
doesn't bother me in the least. The old Shop Vac was the only tool I
needed ear muffs with, and that includes chainsaws and routers, although
routers are nasty noise wise. That shop vac made my ears bleed.

The only way I'd spend all the cash on a Festool vac is if a Texas oil
well sprung up in my yard. Otherwise, I'd happily spend the cash on a
spiral cutter head, or towards purchase of a Domino, or if I already
owned those, maybe a ROTEX, just to see if it would make sanding fun, as
Leon contends:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

The same argument could be made against the purchase of the Ridgid vis a
vis the Festool; they're far superior in many ways as well...

Not really. A Festool vacuum costs 5-6 times the Ridgid, and work about
the same.

Not really they don't, no...they're two toally different class of
machines besides the premium for the

Rigid Festool
Drum Size 6 Gallons (US) 6.9 (6.3 filter bag capacity)
Peak HP 3.5 Nonsense spec
Air Watts 124
Voltage 120 120
CFM 62 137 CFM (Over double note)
Amps 5.8 2.9-10
Filter 1-Layer Standard HEPA(*)
pleated paper

(*) US DOE HEPA Definition--Must capture 99.997% of all particulates
=0.3 microns.

Plus, the Festool has automatic switching of the associated tools
plugged into it and many other amenities/features. Just not the same
beasties at all to compare to each other.