Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default (dry) "Fitted stone" facades

On 2/21/2016 12:27 AM, wrote:
We grow coconuts and pineapples but they are largely maintenance free.
We have been planting coconut trees down the river and some day there
may be dozens of trees growing there.
It will be our legacy to go along with Thomas Edison's bamboo.

I'm hoping my neighbors don't see all the damn wildflowers as mine! :

The pineapples come from the cut off tops of store bought fruit and
the coconuts we grow from the nut.

Hmmm... never would have thought the top of a pineapple would
be a viable start to a new plant! OTOH, what *else* is there by
way of "seed"?!

Some sprouted from our trees and we find a sprouted nut in the river
now and then.

I tend to (want to) approach these things more rationally; i.e.,
why grow something if we can *buy* it? SWMBO claims our oranges
are "much better" than anything store bought (we had a late
freeze one year that killed off all the blossoms; she bought
oranges from the store and the first words out of her mouth were
"Oh, these are SO disappointing!").

As such, if you assume you're going to be growing *some* fruit,
then you've already accepted the burden of doing so. Adding
a lemon and blood orange is easier than opting to "add" the
first fruit!

OTOH, some things have had mixed results. E.g., the pineapple
guava fruit is essentially useless to us (acquired taste?).
But, the blossoms are really pretty, the bush is reasonably
dense (helps as a privacy screen) *and* it is pretty drought
tolerant (so we can skimp on the watering).