Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Transformer shot! (was scope SMPS/ capacitor venting)

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 09:46:52 -0500, JC wrote:

That might be one problem, the sine voltage around T1801 is 800v, your
BY134 is a 600V diode. Also HV diodes can go reverse leaky, try a high
ohmsmeter on it (10-20 meg range). Shouldn't be any reverse leakage.

Will a DVM suffice or should I do this with my faithful old analogue AVO?

I guess you saw my next post on this? Try a load on the board before you
do any more work. It will tell you if the PSU runs silent or not under
load. The one I tried was screaming like heck then silent with a load.

You're a late-comer to this party, so you will be unaware that even when
tested under full working conditions with all the loads plugged in, this
twitcher/switcher still hisses and the 20 Ohm power resistor R1814 (just
below right from the chopper transistor on the schematic) quickly starts
to burn up.

I take your point on the dummy load, though. I must rig one up before
doing any more live testing.