Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT Windows 10

Hi Frank,

On 2/20/2016 3:41 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/20/2016 11:37 AM, Don Y wrote:

[[I'm sorely tempted to install a FOSS OS but figure that
would leave them even farther out on a limb...]]

I had to turn off several privacy settings that were either intrusive or
collected data taking an extra minute to shut down.

What happens if you're "offline"? What happens if you STAY
offline? (i.e., is there a point where it simply refuses
to operate? Or, is there likely to *be* a point where it
refuses to operate unless it can "get a cookie" from it's
masters??)

My only disappointment with Win 10 was their taking off several time wasting
games and making you go to their ap store to get them for free.
Not super intrusive but you will get a pop up ad at the end of the game and
they tell you you can make it ad free by paying $1.49 a month.

I think Apple and Android are in the up sale business and MS has joined them.
Future software upgrades will be free but won't be free of them trying to up
sell you aps.

I tend to avoid ads (in my browser as well as what I consciously set my
eyes on). I don't buy the whole "we're trying to improve YOUR user
experience argument: if you'd wanted to do that, you'd make the
product more secure, less buggy, more responsive, etc. -- not push
advertising at me (for things you THINK that I might be interested in).

So, I'm suspicious of folks using that sort of logic to market a
*free* OS to me (or, in this case, to the kids that I'll be serving).

OTOH, this may just be "the way its going to be", going forward.

Sad that the FOSS community wastes so much time adding features
and tweeking performance instead of concentrating on offering
a reliable, stable product that could compete. But, so long
as you've got folks fixated on stroking their own sense of
*personal* accomplishment -- instead of addressing that need -- then
the trend will never change (a mindset is a tough thing to shake)

Otherwise I'm happy with Win 10 and have not had any serious issues since
starting to use it.

I'm sure MS is watching the numbers and won't get Draconian until they know
their users have no choice. The fact that they track how long you are
*in* windows suggests a "usage billing" option may be in the cards for
the future -- like "minutes" and "data" on your cell phone.

Maybe *that* will be what's needed to kill the kitty videos? :