Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (dry) "Fitted stone" facades

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 23:56:05 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/20/2016 11:14 PM, wrote:

Last year, "fresh" oranges until June (out of the refrigerator)
and (frozen) OJ until October. This year, we'll probably make
it through December with the OJ.

(Having a very large freezer helps!)

Guess I am just not cut out to be a farmer.

I'm not, either! I enjoy the lemons in my tea (more than a gallon gone,
already). Also used in a couple of meals we prepare. The blood oranges
were "mine, exclusively" (juiced). I used to look forward to a tall glass
each morning!

The limes are good for making lime sherbet and ceviche. But, before
the OLD tree fell victim to the cold, we would drop off ~40-50 pounds
at the laundry at the local hospital (mexican workers would suck on
lime slices while working) -- a little lime goes a LONG way (though,
if you let them get *overly* ripe, they become very mellow and sweet!)

The pomegranate "experiment" was a failure. Despite seeing them
grow like weeds in a neighbor's yard (who just lets the fruit ROT
on the trees!)

Nor any luck with the artichokes.

Our hope is the new *dwarf* navels mature quickly and we can rely
on them instead of the single semidwarf. Likewise, lose the valencia
and replace it with a blood orange. All genuine dwarfs so we can
protect them from the cold, easier (the semidwarfs are too big to
cover -- 4 king size sheets sewn together per tree).

We grow coconuts and pineapples but they are largely maintenance free.
We have been planting coconut trees down the river and some day there
may be dozens of trees growing there.
It will be our legacy to go along with Thomas Edison's bamboo.
The pineapples come from the cut off tops of store bought fruit and
the coconuts we grow from the nut.
Some sprouted from our trees and we find a sprouted nut in the river
now and then.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/baby%20coconuts.jpg