Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default testing numerous AA batteries sitting around?

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Or just buy a really cheap voltmeter from Harbor Freight.

Mine cost $6.00 and HAS a loaded battery test function with the milliamp
reading to be expected for a good battery right on the case.

I like them as cheap disposable meters but never use them on high voltage
other than the simplest tests and then with great caution as they
obviously aren't built with much or any real safety features.

I did not think anyone bought those meters as they are usually 'free'. I
have 3 of them now. Not too sure how well they will hold up, but I did
check them with my Fluke meter and they seem to be accurate enough for
general testing. They do have one adjustment inside,but I did not see the
need to try and get them any closer.

As with you , I don't think I would use them on anything other than some low
voltage stuff. Maybe on the 240 volt around the house, but not too sure
about that. I know I would not use them on the 480 volt 3 phase stuff at
work that had about 600 amp fuses in it.

** Does not look that bad:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_23332.jpg

It lacks low AC volt scales and the plugs are not fully shrouded.

The transistor tester socket is a known hazard and I cannot see if battery access requires the use of a tool, much safer if it does.

The battery test function is almost useless, 4mA load on a AAA or larger cell tell you nothing - particularly if it is rechargeable.

.... Phil