Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wayne Chirnside[_6_] Wayne Chirnside[_6_] is offline

Default testing numerous AA batteries sitting around?

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 20:38:18 +0100, Sjouke Burry wrote:

On 19.02.16 8:11, Bill Baxter wrote:
Over the last several years, I've had projects come and go requiring
mostly the use of both alkaline and lithium AA batteries. As some of
the oldest batteries have ended up leaking, what's a good way to test
the remaining ones to see if they're worth keeping or not? I have no
idea of their ages, some of them could be a month while some several
years. I know I can use a DVM or analog voltmeter, but many times I've
tested this way and supposedly good batteries only lasted a few minutes
or several hours in a device and thought there might be a better way.
I just need to clear out all questionable AA's.... too many on the
shelves. Thanks.

For small batteries I test the short-circuit current.
New batteries are in the order of 2-10 amps,
old ones 0 to ~100 milliamps.
Very useful when you compare old- with new battery. Dont try this on big
ones!!!!!

Or just buy a really cheap voltmeter from Harbor Freight.
Mine cost $6.00 and HAS a loaded battery test function with the milliamp
reading to be expected for a good battery right on the case.

I like them as cheap disposable meters but never use them on high voltage
other than the simplest tests and then with great caution as they
obviously aren't built with much or any real safety features.