Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 02/20/2016 7:50 AM, Jack wrote:

I guess it comes down to how long it would take you to save up a few
hundred bucks. My experience is it is well worth the wait, the
advantages are rather large. ...

I thought you above were rueing the fact you hadn't done so? If not,
what's the advantage other than pure hypothesis of which you speak?

I hadn't priced replacements so used Grizz...turns out they're basically
a wash for replacement as far as initial cost...the 8" head has 40
inserts that are roughly $40/10 so $40*4 = $160 per set or, dividing out
the four sides, $40/one edge. That's about the cost of their set of
straight knives. Of course, you've got 4X the cost outlay at one time
to counter that a little so there is more pain up front although one may
manage to stagger replacement such that never do buy a full new set at once.

OTOH, while the carbide solid knives were more up front, I've had these
sets for approaching 20 years and they'll outlast me with just a few
sharpenings as they're still wide enough for at least several more times
as long as they don't get deeply knicked...

Anyway, if I were in the market for a new one, I'd consider it but it
wouldn't be the primary reason for a go/no-go decision by any stretch
if, as OP notes, were on a budget and for a smaller machine to start with.

If I were back at the time I bought the PM Model 66, I'd probably be on
the same side of the fence -- I did, in fact, suffer along with an old
DeWalt RAS as the only thing for years until I could finally feel could
afford the 66 that I had lusted for for years...but I was _much_ younger
and full of plans at the time, then!!!

But, I don't get that's OP's position now and I'm counseling him, not
making my own decision here.