Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old metal screwdrivers

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 21:29:32 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

I have small kits of all color and they use the black handles that the
nut drivers or screw drivers slip in. All of them black blue yellow....

Might be a polycarbonate or something. My shop is 80% if the outside is.

Martin

On 2/19/2016 11:55 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote:
I've found the plastic in X-lite tends to get oxide or is attacked with
a mold. I have sets of them that get gray and fuzzy. Not flaky.

I put them in a basket in my RF sweeping cem tank and some Simple green
or like. In a day they are bright and nice again.

I haven't seen the effect on anything but the x-lite brand. I suspect
a different plastic is used and that makes the difference.

Is this a problem with the black or the fruit colored handles?

Early craftsman drivers had the same problem. I believe they were
either tenite or acetate based plastic (made from cellulose)

From Eastman Kodak information:

http://www.eastman.com/Literature_Center/P/PP104.pdf

You will find the "deterioration" is caused by ultraviolet exposure
(and I suspect also from ozone)