Posted to alt.home.repair
FrozenNorth[_8_] FrozenNorth[_8_] is offline

Default Crack repair in drywall

On 2016-02-19 6:55 PM, Eagle wrote:
Gordon Shumway formulated the question :
On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 13:28:49 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 4:18:19 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:
explained :
No, no earthquakes in my area. But I can check the foundation to be
sure.

I read ahead some. There was a wall right about where thewall and
lid are sepparating? I'd check the framing and see if it meets code.
A metal tie-in strap, more framing to strenthen the wall and soffit,
ETC. Is the walls made of driwall or plaster?

I don't think it's settling if the crack is only here.

I suspect when they took the wall out they did a less than perfect
job of taping up the old exposed area. If so, just rip out the tape
and do it right and you'll be fine.

I agree that when the wall was removed whoever did the job did a less
than perfect job, but not of taping. They probably did a poor job of
structurally supporting what the wall used to support.

My guess is the wall surface is lathe and plaster, not drywall and tape.

He did say driwall, so it would be bast to ask Him if it's driwall or
plaster.
We both agree the framing is most likely the problem, so patching the
tape and compound is just covering the reason for the cracks.
All we can do is judge what those two pictures show, and to Me, the
framing is the cause of those cracks.

I am actually going to agree with you, just this once. :-)
That is way more than a crack, serious structural problem going on, get
a professional opinion, a band aid will not fix that long term.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati