Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Crack repair in drywall

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:02:42 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 11:01:23 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Little chance its water damage, however, it is possible that there was some structural work done in this area before I owned the house. We think there had once been a wall between the living room and the kitchen that wall was removed, and if so it would have stood right about there.

And it was likely a "load bearing" wall. There is definitely a
structural issue there somewhere - the problem is a lot deeper than
just drywall.

Holy crap!

I couldn't view the picture until I got home, so I was just reading the responses about retaping, replacing corner bead, etc.

Then I get home and click the link to the pictures, fully expecting to see some minor drywall damage, a few hours of work, etc. But holy crap, that's not just a seam repair.

In the second picture you can see a horizontal crack that runs behind the curtain. I'll bet
dollars to donuts that if you pull the curtain back you'll that the crack starts at the top
of the rough opening of the window.

There is definitely some structural issue going on. Something settled and may be
continuing to settle.

I thought I saw the crack by the curtain to, a vertical one coming
down from the ceiling, then going right and one on the ceiling. That's
why I asked the OP if my view was correct.

OP take better (closer) photos, post the links and comment on the
outside wall construction. Is it block, a header beam broke / roof
truss dropped?