Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Transformer shot! (was scope SMPS/ capacitor venting)

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:49:34 -0800, jurb6006 wrote:

A short that would drop the voltage on that side of the winding should
drop the voltage on the other side due to coupling. Recheck everything,
that's what I say.

In fact if you got a power amp that can throw some current maybe inject
into the winding that is giving the low voltage and see if it steps up
in the other windings. Of course heavy current, but VERY low voltage.

I must admit the fact that Zs on my most powerful (voltage-wise) sig gen
is 600 ohms was a concern. I would ideally like to have zapped the tranny
with the same voltage and current as its working conditions would expect.
There's always that nagging doubt in my mind about 'what if I'd had more
power to throw at it? Would that show up something useful?'

Umm, I KNOW my IQ is not that high, it was the top I hit when I went on
a kick to take alot of online IQ tests. In fact my average was so good
out of the about 20 of them I took, I doubt their validity. It was over
135 which is 1 % of the world so really, I doubt it.

One can train for an IQ test. A lot of people don't know that, though!

At any rate, I would take an audio amp and feed that thing until it
runs. You got nothing to lose. reconnect it al and feed it from some
nice maybe 100 WPC audio amp with a 10 KHz square wave or something and
see what happens. You have no current limiting now so you follow the
smoke.

That's a very good idea. Must admit I hadn't thought of that dodge!

And BTW, that hosting you're using SUCKS.

Sorry to hear that. I didn't chose Flickr (or whatever it is) I inherited
it from an old Yahoo mail account. If it's that crap, I'll ditch it.