Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Transformer shot! (was scope SMPS/ capacitor venting)

A short that would drop the voltage on that side of the winding should drop the voltage on the other side due to coupling. Recheck everything, that's what I say.

In fact if you got a power amp that can throw some current maybe inject into the winding that is giving the low voltage and see if it steps up in the other windings. Of course heavy current, but VERY low voltage.

Interestingly I just used my Phase Linear 400 Series Two as such an amp to inject a signal into, believe it or not, the SMPS transformer of a Phillips scope ! Bunch of coincidence, but of no help to you at the moment as it is a totally different model. This one kicks the voltage down to 24 VDC and then feeds the SPMS. I see no connection for a battery but I imagine it could be made to run on batteries.

Wouldn't be bad to have a scope run on like two laptop batteries...

Anyway, I learned to be very careful about condemning transformers. We learn by mistakes and some of us are pretty fart smellers. I hit 191 on an IQ test once, damn, how can I even be alive ?

Umm, I KNOW my IQ is not that high, it was the top I hit when I went on a kick to take alot of online IQ tests. In fact my average was so good out of the about 20 of them I took, I doubt their validity. It was over 135 which is 1 % of the world so really, I doubt it.

At any rate, I would take an audio amp and feed that thing until it runs. You got nothing to lose. reconnect it al and feed it from some nice maybe 100 WPC audio amp with a 10 KHz square wave or something and see what happens.. You have no current limiting now so you follow the smoke.

And BTW, that hosting you're using SUCKS. It does not respond right to my zoom command and it also nags about my browser. I suggest a Dropbox account, AND USING THE /PUBLIC directory. What's more, on Dropbox all your stuff is private, no browsing nor web crawling can find it, you MUST give out the URL by using "Copy Public URL". I highly recommend it. No ads or anything at all. Point the browser and the picture shows up, download it and I can zoom like all hell.

The limitation is like 2GB. You can have really high res photos there. I have had full length movies in mine.

Anyway, you need better resolution to see the diode circuit symbol numbers to know which winding is which because it does not appear to have pin numbers on the transformer.