Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Old metal screwdrivers

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 20:49:19 -0600
Martin Eastburn wrote:

I've found the plastic in X-lite tends to get oxide or is attacked with
a mold. I have sets of them that get gray and fuzzy. Not flaky.

I put them in a basket in my RF sweeping cem tank and some Simple green
or like. In a day they are bright and nice again.

I haven't seen the effect on anything but the x-lite brand. I suspect
a different plastic is used and that makes the difference.

Martin

I've got a couple Stanleys that do that too. Both have triangular
shaped handles, kinda translucent charcoal color. I used my
finger nail to scrape most of it off (big tough nails). Figured it
had something to do with being kept in the basement and too much
humidity at times...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b