Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snaking a tub

On 2/19/2016 9:59 AM, wrote:
I always snake through the overflow. I don't think it is possible to snake through the drain at the bottom of the tub. When I watched the plumbers do it they always go through the overflow so that's what I have always done.

I think the problem getting the snake through was just related to a U joint that I was having a hard time getting the snake around.

I think what happened is that when the water backed up into the tub it pushed a bunch of sediment up into that short pipe you mentioned. So even though I had the main pathway cleared out there was still that small clog. The image you posted makes it really clear. Thanks for posting that.

I think I actually had it snaked out last night but I didn't think of trying the plunger until this morning. Always better to wait for morning when clearer heads prevail!

I just took a shower and it's draining really well again. Better than it has in months.

The holes in that bottom drain are pretty small. An awful lot of hair is going down that drain though. Both my wife and daughter take a lot of shower's in there and the hair is a problem.

Nice to be back in business and not sitting around waiting for the plumber with my check book.

Thank you for sharing your success. We can learn from
you, and do better our selves.

--
..
Christopher A. Young