Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 02/19/2016 9:27 AM, dpb wrote:
On 02/19/2016 9:07 AM, Jack wrote:

... In other words, buy a ridged shop vac for $100 and use
the $400-500 savings from Festool to step up to a helical segmented
planer/jointer.

That's not the same argument as not buying anything unless...

As far as survival, we survived lots of stuff. We could always use a
hand plane if survival was the issue. If you are buying, might as well
get a tool that has major advantages. If you already own a lessor tool
(I own an archaic jointer) no need to run out and buy a new one, but
once you use a segmented cutter head, anything less is an aggravation.
My jointer is 60 years old, so keep in mind for home workshop use, these
things will be in use a LONG time, so why buy aggravation.

The same argument could be made against the purchase of the Ridgid vis a
vis the Festool; they're far superior in many ways as well...

But, I hadn't realized the price differential had come down to that
level; just looked up a couple. Thought was still closer to 2X that...

Still I'd never tell somebody they _had_ to spend that extra $400-500 or
the rest was a mistake.