Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 2/18/2016 2:26 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Jack wrote:

A jointer makes surfaces flat, planer makes them parallel and the
required thickness and a drum sander makes them smooth. Confusing
their purpose is common, but doesn't always work. Trying to get wood
to a required thickness with parallel faces with a jointer or sander
is fraught with disappointment.

I've used my drum sander for that purpose (and others) with at least 1000
brd.ft. of lumber. I have never been disappointed.

How many brd.ft of 1 1/8" or 5/4" or 1/2" stock have you made with your
sander? Not much I imagine. How long would it take you to sand a 2x6x8
to 1 1/8" thickness?

Also, flattening twisted stock on a drum sander or a planer is a royal
pia, which is why jointers exist. Can you sand a hunk of black walnut
firewood flat? Simple with a jointer. If you don't do any of this
stuff, maybe a jointer/planer is not needed. If you do, then a drum
sander may be useful at some point, but it is not the right tool for
this stuff.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com