Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Snaking a tub

On 02/19/2016 06:26 AM, wrote:
It's not actual gravel. It's just the kind of stuff that builds up in the pipes over time. Sediment would have been a better description.

That's an entirely different story.

Once you clear the clog, an occasional treatment with drain cleaner
should dissolve the sediment.

The problem is there is this old piece of pipe that the tub, kitchen sink, and dishwasher feed into. That needs to be replaced with PVC pipe at some point and this will stop happening. Should have done this before we finished the basement because now it would involve tearing out some sheetrock to get at that pipe.

For now I will try to snake it out. The last time I had a plumber come out and give it a good snaking it lasted about 2 years and then it clogged again. I've got a screen in the kitchen sink to keep food out but I guess over time stuff still builds up.

Steve