Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Borland[_2_] Al Borland[_2_] is offline

Default Snaking a tub

On 02/19/2016 04:59 AM, wrote:
We have this tub on the first floor that drains to a pipe that is also shared by the kitchen sink and the dishwasher. Over time sediment builds up and sometimes the tub backs up and I see gravel and nasty stuff in the tub and in the past I have been able to snake out the tub.

It backed up yesterday and there was a bunch of gravel and nasty looking stuff in the tub.

Last night I was working on it and had a very hard time getting the snake past a certain point but eventually I got it extended pretty far and I thought it would have unclogged the drain. But when I pulled the snake back out the tub is still almost totally stopped up. If I put water in it will sit there for a long time and eventually it does seep through whatever is clogging the pipe.

This morning I am back at it and I just cannot get the snake past a certain point and it's not very far. After about 5 feet it just cannot make any progress.

I am using a hand crank snake but it has worked pretty well for me in the past.

I'm getting ready to call a plumber here.

Would appreciate any tips on how to get past whatever is preventing the snake from making progress.

Thanks in advance.

You need the Binford 6100 power auger with the carbide tip.