Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

Default testing numerous AA batteries sitting around?

In article , says...

Over the last several years, I've had projects come and go requiring
mostly the use of both alkaline and lithium AA batteries. As some of
the oldest batteries have ended up leaking, what's a good way to test
the remaining ones to see if they're worth keeping or not? I have no
idea of their ages, some of them could be a month while some several
years. I know I can use a DVM or analog voltmeter, but many times I've
tested this way and supposedly good batteries only lasted a few minutes
or several hours in a device and thought there might be a better way. I
just need to clear out all questionable AA's.... too many on the
shelves. Thanks.

I have a 1.25V 0.25A MES incandescent bulb. It fits in a simple holder
made of heavy galvanised wire wound into a spiral that the bulb screws
into, with an extension of caliper shape that connects to either AA or
AAA batteries.

The test takes 2 seconds per battery.

If the bulb lights strongly the battery is worth a second chance...

Mike.