Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney is offline

Default CRT Television Hum

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message ...

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in
message ...
I have a analog TV that is still working fine and no plans to replace it.
Over time, it has developed an audio hum - I'm guessing it's 60 Hz. When
the picture is dark, the hum is nearly gone. The brighter the picture, the
louder it is. I'm guessing some kind of filter on the speaker connections

would do it, maybe something as simple as connecting a capacitor
circuit.... But, as I ain't the sharpest feller with audio electronics, I
thought I better ask the genius pool here!

First I thought was a power cord was near the antenna cable, but that
doesn't seem to be the problem.

The key word in all this is "cheap". Anything over $10 is way out of line.

Look on Facebook or Craigs list for a free TV. They are always giving those
old things away.
The power cord could be wrapped around the antenna and not cause hum.
Probably a filter capacitor needs replacing. If you had some on hand, open
the TV up and just hold the leads of the new one across the capacitors and
find the one where the hum quits .

Way belated thanks. One of these days (famous last words) I'll retire and set up a garage shop and do all these things. I have about 4-5 printers that work perfectly except for one thing with each, but they all take time to take part and fix. Hate to throw something out that has only one thing wrong - even it takes 10 years to get to it. Lovely wife thinks otherwise. LOL!