Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Here's a fun new metalworking/robotics/mechanics project

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 13:02:09 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
http://tinyurl.com/z56msjj

I'd love to build a scaled version of one of these little beauties.
Specs are outstanding. I wonder what diesel engine they're using.
Is this the first diesel hybrid plugin? I don't recall seeing one
before.

What did you say you had for machine tools?

Um, let's see. I have several hammers! :/

For metalworking, so far: a drill press, portable bandsaw (time to
make a base for it), several 4" angle grinders, disc/belt sander
combo, table saw (for aluminum and plastics), indicators and bases,
calipers and other measuring devices, 3" sine vise, angle plate,
v-blocks, tapping stand, grinder, buffer and 1/2 dozen compounds, TIG
welder w/ argon, various square tubing sizes, various chunks of delrin
and other plastics, etc. Not a whole lot of machine tools, but it's a
start.

My buddy, Gunner, refuses to find a $5 compact vertical mill for me,
but my buddy, Glenn, lets me use his gear head mill, lathe, and real
TIG when I need them. He's half an hour away.

Building machinery takes lots of time or money. I spent most of the
morning making one custom-sized split shaft clamp like this from
aluminum to support new guy lines on my antenna mast.
http://www.staffordmfg.com/Product-C...p-Type-Collars

Alas, "I'd love to" and "I'm starting to" are two different things.
Funding -may- play some small part in this.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;