Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Bosch dishwasher sku53e05uc /14

Don Y wrote:
On 2/18/2016 5:40 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 2/18/2016 2:42 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 3:36:44 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 2/18/2016 11:53 AM,
wrote:
So my inlet valve burst and i bought a replacement. Turned off my
kitchen breaker, removed the old valve and as i was installing the
new
valve the wires touched, sparked and went dead.

This doesn't quite make sense.

The dishwasher was NOT in the middle of a cycle, correct? (even if it
was
still "plugged in").

So, there would be no reason for there to be "power" (i.e., a voltage
difference between the two wires) to those connections. As such, no
reason for a "spark".

(unless the valve has THREE terminals and an "open" and "close"
coil --
doubtful)

Were any of the wires GREEN (safety ground)?

Are you sure you didn't touch the chassis, instead?

Apparently the washer wasn't on that circuit. Apparently. I finished
connecting the terminals and water but when i hit the power button
all
the cycle lights turn on and it just humms. Hitting the start
cycle has
no effect. Anyone know what i borked?

You may have only broken the new valve; or the "driver" that turns
it on
(i.e., supplies power to that coil).

It is possible that the unit is waiting for water that is never
going to
come (because of one of the above problems).

Does the manual give you a "cheat sheet" to evaluate any error codes?
(I'm reasonably sure it IS indicating an error to you but in a cryptic
way)

I agree o n the power it down for 10 minutes and see if that helps.
Otherwise you've probably fried the main control board and those are
often a
hundred or more.

I want to understand the reported observation:
"the wires touched, sparked and went dead"
to better posit likely problems. IMO, there shouldn't have been
ANY potential ("voltage") across the coil -- unless it was
supposed to be ON. I can't understand why it would be ON if
it wasn't actually trying to run a cycle.

If, indeed, it was "off", then something else was responsible
for the sparks.

It is unusual for any modern device NOT to report some sort
of error information -- though the actual indication might
be obscure (count blinks, notice odd combinations of lights,
etc.). Error message/code gives you an idea of what the
device is "missing" (expecting but not detecting).

Maybe one lead of the solenoid coil was hot. Who knows when logic
board IC is
involved when this sort of thing happens.

He claimed the leads touched. That implies that the other lead had a
"return path". I.e., there was potential ACROSS THE COIL at the instant
the spark was drawn. That should only happen if the dishwasher wanted
the coil to be energized. Which should only happen during a cycle!

Possible it was on wash/rinse cycle. Any cycle can be cancelled by
hitting reset button. Our DW is front control panel model.
Under the start button there is little marking, "reset 3secs." meaning
hold it down 3 secs. to reset after pushing power button. It is
mentioned in the owner's manual as far as our Bosch model is concerned.