Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help please w/ electromagnetic slip clutch

On 2016-02-18, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 16:39:36 -0800 (PST), whit3rd

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 16:26:54 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

How about using DC to brake an AC servo? Higher the voltage the more
resistance to motion.

How would that work? How are AC servos made? I'll look online.

Most AC motors (the ones without brushes) will brake if you feed 'em
some DC. Steppers (but they cog), shaded-pole, or hysteresis types,
all have a rotor without driven windings, and DC on the stator makes
them into brakes.

I thoughty they only braked while spinning and once stopped there is
no braking force.

That is true for AC motors. For steppers, since they have a
permanent magnet rotor, the braking continues, but things are a bit
rough until it gets to a stop. Perhaps sense the speed, and when it
comes close enough to a stop, switch from AC motor to stepper. (Make
things biggern than you want. :-)

I ordered some MR fluid and will try making my own
magnetorheological brake.

Have fun with that -- and let us know how it goes.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail