Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly magnetic stainless steel rods?

On 2016-02-18, Ed Huntress wrote:
On 18 Feb 2016 04:58:47 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-02-17, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:16:24 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 2/16/2016 11:07 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 07:55:23 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 16 Feb 2016 03:57:29 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

At some point (given what you do), you may want to get one of
those magic guns which can analyze a metal and tell you what alloy it
is.

I'm surprised that, in his business, Ig doesn't already have one.
They're only 20-50 grand or so.

[ ... ]

I see Ebay has some used for $5500 to $9,000, plus there is a $40
service to analyze samples for you. Although, I think it is overseas,
the English seems to be a second language. There are other services.
Mikek

You can get an analysis done for around $50. That seems to be the
going price. If it was for a big load of scrap, and if it only came up
once in a while, that would be the way to go.

Again, though, someone like Iggy has to ask what the value is of
knowing the alloy with that much precision. With some experience and
some good test samples, you can do a reasonable job with spark
testing.

I've been thinking that he might like to know the alloy *before*
he bids on the lot -- and they are unlikely to let him take a sample to
have analyzed. The gun would give the answer very quickly -- and unlike
taking a portable grinder to the lot, would be less likely to get him
banned from the auction site. :-)

I've never seen compessed-air testing done, but that's another option,
and supposedly it is a bit more accurate than spark testing with a
grinding wheel.

How does the compressed-air test work? Any web site someone
knows about?

Enjoy,
DoN.

You heat it red-hot with a torch and blow a jet of air over it. The
sparks supposedly are similar to those you get with grinding, but
better. g

O.K. Another thing that the auction site will probably object
to, then. :-) This leaves the gun as the least obtrusive approach.

I don't see a lot online, but there's this:

http://www.mooseforge.com/Metals/spark.html

...which I think they got from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_...sed_air_method

Thanks!

I came across it years ago -- probably from the same old books -- but,
as I said, I've never seen it being done.

Understood. Somehow, I don't think that the auction site would
be happy at Iggy (or anyone else) aiming a torch and compressed air at
what is for sale. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--