Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

Jack wrote:
On 2/14/2016 12:39 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/13/2016 10:17 PM, John McCoy wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in
:
Before you can join an edge, you must have a flat face. I can -
and do - get that with my drum sander.

OK, I'm a little confused here - how is that different from
running a board thru a planer? Seems like it would make it
smooth but not flat.

Obviously confused. Did he mention anything about a planer? I don't
believe that he said any thing about a drum sander being better
suited than a planer. He simply said, I can and do get a flat face
with his drum sander.

But to answer your question, the drum sander pretty much will do
what a planer will do except at a much slower pace. Given that, a
rum sander has many advantages over a planer.

A jointer makes surfaces flat, planer makes them parallel and the
required thickness and a drum sander makes them smooth. Confusing
their purpose is common, but doesn't always work. Trying to get wood
to a required thickness with parallel faces with a jointer or sander
is fraught with disappointment.

I've used my drum sander for that purpose (and others) with at least 1000
brd.ft. of lumber. I have never been disappointed.