Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LED Christmas lights have a series lump, what is it for?

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 09:03:05 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Jeff Lieberman,
The wiring web site was interesting in how poorly it was
done, but didn't really give me any answers to my questions.

Well, I indicated that I didn't have an easy answer. Basically, I
would need to know what's inside the lump before making yet another
guess(tm). It could be anything (diode, capacitor, ferrite bead,
resistor, etc). The same components could also be molded into the
power plug. Also, unless the series current limiter is in the plug or
in the LED's, I don't see how it could be done without something
inside the lump.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558