Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 02/18/2016 11:34 AM, Jack wrote:

If you are using rough cut lumber, re-using, re-purposing lumber, making
wood from firewood and other such things, you need a jointer and a
planer. I would not but either unless they had segmented, spiral cutter
heads. If you can't afford that, save your pennies.

The spiral segmented head has some advantages, granted, but we survived
just fine without for 100 year or so before they were available, so the
advice to do without unless is _way_ over the top imo. It's far more
useful to go get some work done than it is to wait for the ultimate,
most expensive solution.