Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 2/18/2016 11:34 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/14/2016 12:39 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/13/2016 10:17 PM, John McCoy wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in :

Before you can join an edge, you must have a flat face. I can - and
do - get that with my drum sander.

OK, I'm a little confused here - how is that different from
running a board thru a planer? Seems like it would make it
smooth but not flat.

Obviously confused. Did he mention anything about a planer? I don't
believe that he said any thing about a drum sander being better suited
than a planer. He simply said, I can and do get a flat face with his
drum sander.

But to answer your question, the drum sander pretty much will do what a
planer will do except at a much slower pace. Given that, a rum sander
has many advantages over a planer.

A jointer makes surfaces flat, planer makes them parallel and the
required thickness and a drum sander makes them smooth. Confusing
their purpose is common, but doesn't always work. Trying to get wood to
a required thickness with parallel faces with a jointer or sander is
fraught with disappointment.

True for the most part but with a sled, not just a panel so much as a
reinforced panel that remains flat, you can flatten a surface on a
planer, flip and make the opposite surface parallel with the other.

This is not an easy task and a jointer would better suited, but in a
pinch... The drum sander essentially works the same as a planer and can
do that of a planer but typically slower and with a smoother result.

If you are using rough cut lumber, re-using, re-purposing lumber, making
wood from firewood and other such things, you need a jointer and a
planer. I would not but either unless they had segmented, spiral cutter
heads. If you can't afford that, save your pennies.