Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Companies that Stand Behind Their Products

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:58:35 -0700, "Ashton Crusher"
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 16:02:14 -0600, SeaNymph
wrote:

Over the years, I've had good and bad experiences with large companies.
I imagine that's true for most people.

If I pay money for a product, I expect it to be as advertised. If it's
not, I expect the company to make it right.

Now I know that Browning will make it right.

PricePhfister has been replacing for free the parts as they wear out
on my kitchen sink faucet for the past 20 years. I call them, tell
them it has a lifetime warranty and they ship me new parts.

I want to mention a company that does *NOT* stand behind their products,
and that is Sioux steel company. This probably wont affect many of you,
because they make farm gates and other steel farm supplies. Anyhow, they
advertise a "Lifetime Warranty" on their products, but are not clear
about the details. About 4 years ago, I bought several of their gates.
These were their lower priced model, which is generally fine for small
animals and horses. (Cattle need heavier duty gates). I got them for
INDOOR use, on stalls for horses, ponies or goats. They cost around $80
each. Within 2 years they were falling apart, after 3 years, one of them
literally completely fell into pieces, and the horse even walked out of
his stall, because the gate was in at least 5 pieces, and the hinge
portion just rusted off.

I contacted the company and was told the gates I bought were their
economy gates, and those did not have the lifetime warranty. I told the
guy that I understand the warranty may not be "lifetime", but these
gates are totally falling apart after only 2 to 3 years, and went on to
tell him I have bought other brands of used gates at auctions, which
were at least 10 years old when I bought them, and have used them for at
least 10 more years. I also told him that even those 20 year old gates
might be rusty on the bottom rail, but I have never had any other brand
of gate literally fall apart, except theirs. I also told him they were
used indoors, which should make them last longer.

THe guy told me there is no warranty at all on the gates I bought and
they could not do anything. After I clearly told him that if that's the
kind of junk they sell, and have such poor customer service, he told me
to buy their top of the line (expensive) gates and hung up on me.

I then went to the farm supply store where I bought them, only to find
out they stoppd selling that Sioux gates because too many people were
having problems with them. I pushed this issue a little further and said
"dont you stand behind the products you sell". He said they do, but they
could not get Sioux to assist with problems, and that is why they no
longer sell that brand of gates.

In total, I bought 4 of their gates, which cost me $320. They should
have lasted at least 10 years. Four years later, only one of them is
still in use. The bottom rail has fallen off and the center support is
gone, and I welded it in a few spots (and found the metal is like
tinfoil in thickness). But its still working for a stall that only is a
place to store some hay bales. But I doubt it will last another year.

This is the worst gate I have ever used, their customer service is about
the worst I have ever gotten, and if I was to rate them, on a scale from
1 to 10 (10 being excellent), I would give them a MINUS 10 in all
categories.

I will never buy another product made by that company.