Douglas Reedy

Default DVD player broke

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message

Most Apex DVD players I've seen are poorly built.

True. My strategy is to use it in the bedroom where DVDs rarely get watched.

The only advantage I can see for Apex is that some of their players can be
modified easily for region-free and Macrovision-free playback. But not

all

That and the ability to flash (not to mention the support from the mrf to
provide firmware updates) unless the thing reads all advertised media and
formats correctly out of the box. My AKAI did not, but after a firmware
update it does now.

Foruntaely, ANY DVD player will outclass VHS. But a Panasonic will

outclass an
Apex in terms of the two most important aspects in a DVD player: Picture

and
sound quality.

I'm would be all for that provided I can depend on the DVD player to last
more than a couple years. But dropping upwards of $300 on a premium Sony
model only to have it die after 18 months changed my thinking. But then
again that's probably just a Sony thing as I've had untimely deaths of a
Sony VCR, DVD, and 17-inch monitor.

OTOH my Sony TV continues to work 7 years later.