Zymurgy

Default Water Hammer from Toilet

(anon) wrote
I have read many posts about this problem and the answer is usually
"replace your ball valve washer".

I get water hammer through my pipes just as the cistern is at the end
of its refill.
If I flush my toilet and push the piston with light pressure I can
reproduce the water hammer effect.

I'm no toilet expert, but I believe water hammer occurs when the flow
is abrupty stopped. e.g. when turning off a tap sharply, causing
standing waves back down the pipe.

Is the ball valve sticking, do the mechanisms move smoothly ?

Alternatively, new inlet valve assembly's are cheap enough, i'd change
it as in some cases it'd be easier than trying to diagnose what's
wrong inside your current one.

HTH

Cheers.

Paul.